PPL » Aircraft Tech Knowledge (A) » Engine Management - Piston
12.24 Engine Management - Piston
12.24.2 State the safety precautions to be taken before starting the engine.
Before starting the engine, it is important to take certain safety precautions to ensure safe and reliable operation.
These precautions include the following:
1. Ensure that the vehicle is in park or neutral and the parking brake is engaged.
2. Check that all passengers are properly seated and wearing their seat belts.
3. Check that all doors and windows are closed.
4. Check the oil, coolant, brake fluid, and other fluid levels.
5. Check that the battery terminals are clean and tight.
6. Check that the tires are properly inflated and in good condition.
7. Check that all lights and signals are functioning properly.
8. Listen for any unusual noises or vibrations.
9. If the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period of time, check for any signs of rodent infestation or other damage.
10. Familiarize yourself with the controls and gauges of the vehicle.
11. Ensure that the ignition switch is in the "off" position before inserting the key.
By taking these safety precautions before starting the engine, you can help ensure that the vehicle is in good condition and that you are aware of any potential issues that could affect the safety and reliability of the vehicle.