Instructor » In, Out and Around NZTG » ATIS
Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS)
ATIS is a continuous broadcast of the operational information provided by the tower, and normally supplied to aircraft prior to take-off or landing.
It is transmitted on a discrete VHF frequency and amended when aspects of recorded conditions change.
The frequency for the Tauranga ATIS is:
You can call Tauranga Tower on:
- 07 547 4616, press 0 to hear the ATIS.
Active ATIS broadcasts are also available on:
- IFIS (www.ifis.airways.co.nz).
Listen to an example of an ATIS
The items normally included in ATIS broadcasts are:
- (name of aerodrome) Terminal Information Code letter of the transmission (e.g. Information ALFA or BRAVO etc)
- Issued at (time)
- Expect (type of approach, e.g. visual or NDBDME)
- Runway (in use)
- Surface conditions (wet or dry etc)
- Any other operational information
- Surface wind (in °M and knots)
- Present weather
- Temperature and dew point
- 2,000 ft wind
- The statement “ON FIRST CONTACT WITH TAURANGA TOWER, NOTIFY RECEIPT OF BRAVO”